If you own your own home, you may be looking for ways you can save money on home repairs and renovations. One of the best ways to save money is to prevent do the work yourself. Learning simple maintenance techniques and remodeling tricks can help you keep a lot of your home costs down. Here’s a room by room look at just a few of the jobs that even a beginning home handyman or handywoman can do.
* Fix leaking toilets and faucets – not only will you save money on the repair, your water bill will go down!
* Unclog stopped up toilets and sinks – if clogs are severe, you may require the use of a plumber’s snake.
* Re-caulk tubs and showers – This can save you more money down the road by preventing the growth of mold and mildew.
* Replace tub hardware – water faucets and spigots, and install a water-saving low pressure shower head.
* Apply new grout to tile – A quick and easy job that can make bring older tile back to life.
* Replace sinks or toilets with newer designs – this is a more advanced job, that while pretty straightforward can be time consuming
* Unclog sinks – can usually be done with liquid drain opener, but may require a snake.
* Replace sink or faucets – Another time consuming job, but within the abilities of most folks.
* Fix leaking faucet or drain – Again, this will save you more than just the price of the repair.
* Replace cabinet doors or hardware to update the look of your kitchen. Refacing your existing cabinetry costs about half of a complete cabinet reinstall, but greatly increases the perceived value of your kitchen.
* Installation of new light fixtures or ceiling fans – this is really easy, as long as you’re comfortable working with electricity.
Around the House
* Replace old or worn doors.
* Install new screening on screen doors; this is a much easier job with an inexpensive screen tool, a little roller that is used to mash the gasket into the groove.
* Install new door knobs or locks.
* Fix squeaky stairs and loose banisters.
* If you’re comfortable with electricity, repair or install electrical outlets and light switches.
* Install lighting or ceiling fans in areas.
* Replace old flooring with new tile or laminate flooring.
* Paint! Painting is one of the easiest home repair and maintenance jobs around, and one of the least expensive ways to spruce up a boring room.
These are only a few of the many home repair jobs that even a novice can do on their own. There are plenty of instruction manuals available to teach you the basics of how to get started taking care of your own home.
No related posts.